Running for the Virginia State Action Team can be one of the most exhausting, nerve wracking process. In the end it is also the most rewarding experience a VA DECA member can have. This page is designed to walk potential state officers through the steps it takes to become a VA DECA State Officer.
The Basics There are ten positions on the VA DECA State Action Team. These positions include President, Executive Vice-President, Secretary, Historian, Reporter and five Regional Vice-Presidents. Candidates are required to complete an application, take an online test, interview with two committees, campaign and give a speech in front of the VA DECA voting delegates. It is never too early to start planning to become a state officer. The first deadline for applicants is at the end of January. From there the process moves very quickly.
Are You State Officer Material? VA DECA is looking for individuals who enjoy public speaking, working as a team, have a passion for DECA and who have the time to devote to our large organization.
Steps Taken By Potential Officers
1. Download the Officer Information Packet
2. Complete the Online Application
3. Prepare for the exam - candidates pass with an 80. Study Guide Available Here
4. Candidates complete a phone interview with the VA DECA Chartered Association Advisor.
5. The top 20 candidates will be invited to campaign and run at the State Leadership Conference.
6. If you are in the top 20 ... Develop Your Campaign
Your campaign is more then just your slogan. Your campaign encompasses who you are and what you want to to do for VA DECA.
Guidelines are provided below:
7. Prepare for SLC No Campaigning may take place before SLC including Social Media Sites.
1. Choose a campaign team (these two individuals may attend SLC as competitors or only for your campaign.
2. Create booth materials.
3. Write and practice your speech.
4. Review the interview and voting process.
5. Practice the interview questions.
8. Deliver a Great Campaign
9. Earn one of the ten spots on the Virginia DECA State Action Team